Monday, June 10, 2013

First came the floods, then the censoring of Marilyn Monroe's dress?

I had a few days off from writing anything. My apologies. I was dealing with my real job and the fact my basement flooded from groundwater. Takes time to clean and at the end of it all, (if there is an end since there is more work to be had down there), yesterday, in between bouts of bleaching the floor and battling mold I sat and watched movies.

"Dog Day Afternoon" opened the day with Pacino and Cazale. This is one of my favorites and well, you don't want to know about my viewing habits do you? Really?

As the day trundled by and before I knew it I walked in on Tom Ewell and Marilyn Monroe in the middle of the "Seven Year Itch". When this movie was made, a lot was made over how Marilyn Monroe would be photographed specifically in her flowing white dress and specifically when she stood over that lucky heating grate.

But most certainly the powers that be, those a-moral people who preach morality and always know what is best for rest of society; who always look out for the peasants' best interests; those people who you later find out are as phony as.... well I could get in trouble this morning, so you know what I mean; those pillars of society who want to keep the rest of us pure from immoral thoughts wanted to keep Marilyn's thighs from our lusty view...

Here is my point and it is more pointed than TCM, or the Hayes code censoring an innocent movie shot; the point being, for whatever purpose, we have always been on the receivership of censorship; whether it is in presentation or the collection of content.

We have always sat as panting lap dogs waiting for someone else to entertain us and tell us what is good and bad for us to see, to read, to eat, drink, etc.

Shrug it off, look beyond their soapbox and understand them for what they are. Your best bet is always to vote your dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment