Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hey He's Copying!!!

It has been drummed in our heads from every 'after school special'; every clueless adult with nothing else to say; that we are each 'unique' and 'special'. Yeah. Each of us possess unique and individual talents...

Then why do we as a public at large crave sameness? Why do the many flock to undersized bar and grills, stuff ourselves, not out stomachs, inside these dumps and go wild over cover bands? Especially pretending they are the original.

Personally I don't. I'd rather stay home and listen to a CD or YouTube. At least I know I the songs will be played in the proper tempo and on key.

And why do publishers constantly look for us writers to write 'like Lovecraft' or King or Bradbury?

Why not stick with the original when you want to read something and why not promote the originality of your writers?

We all have a style influenced by those before us. Some of it good and some of it crap.

I realize the marketplace craves the homogenized, the safe, the tried and true.

I also realize that if the arts continue to follow its' standard bearer, Hollywood, I may soon and begrudgingly be forced to change my name to Xerox; or, rather instead, to paraphrase the words of a wise, wise man, be forced 'to drive a truck.'


No comments:

Post a Comment