Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Editor's Notes Part Five : IT IS TIME FOR MY CLOSE UP MR. DEMILLE

I am amazed how many writers and publications are now looking for author/writer photos. Generally writers, being the creative types they are generally will shoot their photos in a handful of overly staged poses including: standing outside smiling; while reading a book looking studious; attempting to replicate some long lost album cover from some long forgotten band; wearing a stupid hipster hat; etc.

Why is a photo necessary? Why is important to get to know the writer from how attractive or unattractive he/she is/isn't.

Photos concern me and they should concern writers looking for substance over fashion, that is style.

Also, photographs steal your soul.......

2 comments:

  1. I don't think about unseen looks of author, Better that way. Grisham looks like inmate on back of THE CHAMBER.
    Angelic looking author of horror story would be incongruous image for story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely; but this whole aspect of marketing literature with the 'beautiful people' is simply annoying. I once had a magazine tell me they enjoyed my story but couldn't commit until I sent a head shot. Yeah, that makes it read better.

      Delete