Friday, February 28, 2014

Scary? Oh, I'm Sorry I thought You Meant Richard

Richard Scarry was a legendary children's writer. More of a contemporary of my sister I do remember reading her many of his books during her pre-reading and early reading childhood.

Perhaps that is my connection to the word; perhaps 'scary' just by its sound is tinny to me. But can we please, when discussing horror and weird tales, bury the word -- permanently?

I can't stand the word. It sounds childish. I used 'scary' when I was a kid. Other kids used it like 'blankie', 'ba-ba' and other such lower rungs on the ladder to literacy.

When people talk to me about 'scary' their book and movie choices are bland at best. But then again I scored so high on the FBI anti-social scale this could another problem.

I'm just looking to put the bar higher. I'm just looking to get beyond most of the adolescent fantasies littered in vulgarisms that pose for fiction these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment