Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflecting on 2014

Accomplishments are fine. It's been a good writing year. It could have been spectacular but publishers go under, so it's a good year considering I only do this very part time and have only been doing this just less than four years.

But here is what sits in my craw about this past year.

What stands out to me about 2014 is the lack of civility in society. People are way too angry. People are way too self-important hence easily swayed in to believing they have been insulted. Etc. Etc. Etc Can we just get back to being supportive, to having a sense of humor and drop the narcissism? Can we please listen and stop being reactionary. Every phone call in my real business is a fight. Every letter is a battle. The same is happening with writing and even going to the supermarket. Yeah, it's nice to toot one's horn but it's not nice to rip people behind their backs. It's not cool to look for an angle to rip someone off. Deceit is not smarts. Its deceit. We all have a voice. We all have something important to contribute. Can we please be instructive and constructive? I know I have to do that more too. Believe me I am the most imperfect among you but we need to dial it down in 2015 and use our intellect rather than emotion. 2014 was exhausting, this culture is exhausting. My soap box is closed. Happy New Year one and all. I for one am going to try to get it more correct in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment