Thursday, January 2, 2014

Editor's Notes Part Three

There is a line from 'The Producers' where Max says emphatically and concurrently NEVER PUT YOUR OWN MONEY IN THE SHOW.

The same can be said for writing. Oh, it is okay to donate a token for a cause or help launch an anthology or magazine that you may be working on but NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER pay a read fee. Read fees are not industry recognized except as extortion.

NEVER PAY A READ FEE for a contest.
NEVER PAY A READ FEE for a publication.
NEVER PAY AN ENTRY FEE FOR A CONTEST.

You might as well wear a sign that says LOSER!

You are just setting yourself up for a heartache. Read fees are inherently and historically ... Oh Heck, if you are going to do that why not just send the money directly to me, I will send you my paypal address. At least I'm a nice guy and honest about the flushing of your money down the drain.

Don't pay to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment