Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sadly, This Is Real And Not A Sick Comedy Bit...I Was There

Recently someone I know telephoned me in a panic: He wanted to commit suicide. Why call me? Well, the panic was real. This guy felt everything he had, everything he lived for, everything he believed in was slipping away. Of course, this is a suicidal mindset. But what makes this sadder is the fact he telephoned the National Suicide Hotline twice and, yes, was placed on hold. On the first call he hung up after three minutes; the second time after five minutes. After more conventional help was secured I thought I would check into this. After listening to a recorded message I waited six minutes before hanging up; I waited six minutes with no one coming on the line. There was a comedy bit back in the 1970s about being so unlucky. In this age of mega technology and widespread despair don't mind me for not laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment