Sunday, November 24, 2013

Jaded

Jaded. Most of us who diligently toil in a profession long enough become jaded. Maybe its part of the burnout; maybe its part of the disappointment with expectations --- jaded is a standard port in the travels of life.

As I go through my past legal files, repackage my storage unit to hold more, I ran across a file I had long forgotten about involving a client I always kept in back of my mind. She was a science fiction writer and anthologist of some renown; with a Wikipedia page.

I don't have a Wikipedia page, do you?

What is important about this memory is how I learned not to treat others who wish to follow in your footsteps. I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but this client; with many books and anthologies to her credit and awards on her mantle had this advice for me just before I embarked on my own journey to publish.

I had joined a local writers group under the masthead of the local fine arts council. When I told her about this her response and advice was simple: "You think you can write?" She made a noise like air being burped from Tupperware, "I doubt it -- you probably suck. Everybody thinks they can write. Don't waste your time."

I think its important that as writers we encourage rather than discourage. I think as writers we work as a community of ideas that shape each others thoughts.

Rest in peace; as I see she passed away.

As I near my 100th story published I encourage everyone who is just starting out as well as those already on the journey to keep writing; keep nudging me with your creativity; and don't let the you know what's stop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment